To alleviate congestion on the 1090 MHz band, the FAA created another option for ADS-B solutions that run on a dedicated 978 MHz band – Universal Access Transceiver, or UAT. 978 UAT radios can be configured to provide both ADS-B “Out” and “In” capability in a single product. The ADS-B “Out” broadcast on 978 MHz carries all the same tracking data sent by Extended Squitter (ES) transponders on 1090 MHz. However, on the ADS-B “In” side, the additional bandwidth afforded by the 978 MHz spectrum allows for a much more extensive list of data uplink services.
Do you fly above 18,000 feet?
YES– 978 UAT is not an option for you. You must pursue a 1090ES solution.
NO– 978 UAT may be a solutions that’s right for you. One of the 978 UAT Universal Access Transceivers listed below, transmitting a WAAS signal from an approved GPS navigator or a separate WAAS GPS receiver, will fulfill your ADS-B Out requirement.
Single-Band ADS-B Transceiver
- ADS-B Benefits: Subscription-free weather
- ADS-B Traffic
- Meets ADS-B Mandate Below 18,000 Feet
- MSRP: $2,645
The BendixKing KGX ADS-B solutions are flexible, certified and affordable. The KGX 150 series of UAT transceivers and receivers offer an ADS-B certified solution with an integrated WAAS GPS.
The KGX Series offers outstanding value and flexible certified configurations and includes the following:
- ADS-B IN* and ADS-B OUT capability
- KGX 150 includes a high integrity WAAS GPS
- Can be paired with existing Mode A/C transponders
- Receive TIS-B and FIS-B uplinks** for traffic, graphical weather and other data
- Display on compatible panel MFD or iPad via Wi-Fi module [Option]
- Compliant with FAA 2020 UAT mandate.
- Compliance: DO–160G, DO-282B/TSO C154c, TSO-C157a, TSO-C195a, and TSO-145c (KGX 150 only)
- MSRP: $2,298 - $7,369
*Receiver only model also available for pairing with 1090-ES MHz Mode S Transponders
**Software Application and Wi-Fi Wireless option required for displaying on your iPad. A TIS-B/FIS-B Traffic and Weather Application is available on iTunes for your iPad.
The FreeFlight Systems RANGR 978 Transceiver is single box solutions - a rule-compliant ADS-B Out system combined with the added benefit of ADS-B In weather and traffic data. Interfaces with certified panel mounted displays or compatible tablet devices with optional WiFi module.
- System is diversity capable and fully certified for ADS-B Out 2020 compliance with added ADS-B In benefits - compatible with 430W/530W series of GPS navigators
- Approved for ADS-B compatible panel mounted displays
- Fully certified to TSO C-157a for ADS-B traffic processing and integration with other on board systems. Comprehensive interface capabilities for simple integration
- Includes access to free ADS-B View app by FreeFlight - compatible with popular apps including ForeFlight, Wing X Pro, iFly GPS, eKneeboard, Avare and FlyQ EFB
- We keep you flying - backed by an industry leading 5-year warranty and excellent customer support
- MSRP: $3,745
The GDL® 88 is the first dual-link solution for certified aircraft, including many popular makes and models of helicopters, that not only provides a path to ADS-B “Out” compliance for many pilots, but also brings subscription-free weather and advanced traffic display to the cockpit.
- Dual-link Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) ADS-B “Out” with optional SBAS/WAAS GPS
- Receives subscription-free weather, advanced TargetTrend™ traffic and TerminalTraffic™ display
- Displays on GTN series, G500/600 flight displays as well as other select compatible displays
- Optional Flight Stream 110 or 210 provides wireless connectivity with tablets and Garmin portables via Connext®
- Approved for installation in hundreds of popular aircraft models, including helicopters
- MSRP: $3,995
The ADS600-B is a remote mounted Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) which transmits ADS-B OUT information, as well as, receives ADS-B IN information including ADS-B, ADS-R, TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather. Providing multiple interfaces allows the ADS600-B to support a variety of panel-mounted EFIS/MFDs and portable displays. Certified to TSO-C154c. STC for installations in certified aircraft. Standard features include an internal compliant WAAS GPS, RS232 channel for an external altitude encoder, RS232 and RS422 interfaces for a variety of display devices, and a secure slide-lock attachment for the DB37 system connector.
- MSRP: $2699
- UAT ADS-B In and Out
- Pilot Selectable Anonymous Mode
- Built-in Mode C Transponder
- Built-in Diplexer – Single UAT/Transponder Antenna
- Enhanced Visual Acquisition Traffic Display
- Display of METARs
- Single Entry for Squawk Code
- Wireless iPad Weather, Traffic, and FIS-B
- Fits Existing Transponder Panel Dimensions
- Remote Options
- MSRP: $3,200
Got a 978 UAT product question?
Make sure you fully understand exactly what you’re required to have in your aircraft because the 2020 mandate will be here before you know it. And the closer it gets, the harder it will be to find the equipment needed and the shop time available to perform the installations. Prolonging the upgrades could result in significantly higher costs for both the equipment and installation.
Contact us today and get the facts.